Monday, September 14, 2009

Pussycat Dolls Dominate Asia With New Tour

What started as a burlesque dance show in Hollywood has since become one of the pop music world's favorite attractions. The Pussycat Dolls spent the first half of 2009 on tour with Britney Spears, and are currently performing in Asia with Lady Gaga.

Pussy Cat Dolls
Pussy Cat Dolls
In 1995, choreographer Robin Antin formed a group of dancers she named The Pussycat Dolls. In 2003, they added singing to their stage show, and signed a contract with Interscope Records. The Pussycat Dolls released their debut CD, PCD, two years later. The album earned a Grammy nomination, and reached the Top 5 on the Billboard magazine album chart. In September 2008, The Pussycat Dolls released their second album, Doll Domination which has produced two Top 20 hits. Touring non-stop is not easy.

"It is definitely worth it," said lead singer Nicole Sherzinger. "When the train is moving, I am truly grateful to be on it, and it IS going. We have been on tour for six months now."

This year marked a first for the Pussycat Dolls. The group was forced to cancel their New York concert at the Nassau Coliseum when Nicole fell ill.

"It was really devastating for me," she recalled. "I was truly sad. I realized then that I was not invincible and I was not super-human. I did not understand that."

One of the things that make The Pussycat Dolls so unique is that they have managed to successfully combine song and dance as a group.

Nicole Sherzinger
Nicole Sherzinger
"That is what is so special and unique about The Pussycat Dolls," she noted. "I think it is because not only are we a singing group … a real singing group, but it is a full-out dance group. I dare anyone at home to go and try that. Just walking and singing at the same time let alone doing that [singing while dancing]."

In their latest music video for Jai Ho, The Pussycat Dolls combine their moves with their version of an Oscar-winning song from the film Slumdog Millionaire."

"We filmed it in Vienna, Austria," said Nicole. "We were on our European tour and we had one day off [from performing] and it was like negative 40 degrees or something crazy, it was like a snow blizzard going on outside. And [the video] is kind of like an extension of the end of Slumdog Millionaire when they are performing in the train station then you see us do our version of the song through dancing and singing."

Nicole denies the rumor that she will be leaving the band later this year with the release of her debut solo CD.

Nicole Sherzinger
Nicole Sherzinger
"Her Name Is Nicole … it is going to be out … even I do not know when. I do not want to put a date on it. I am always a relentless perfectionist with my music," she said. "Maybe my stuff will come out this year. I do not want to say, but I believe in timing, and you only get one chance to put out your first solo album. It is going to be good when it does come out, and it will come out."

For now, The Pussycat Dolls continue their World Domination Tour singing and dancing their way through Europe and Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment