Friday, November 20, 2009

The Worst Worm Ever

I don't even know where to begin with this worm. I guess I'll start with the tame stuff...

It's a large predatory species, Eunice aphroditois, that can get as large as three meters long, though most specimens measure in at around one meter. It's actually one of the largest worms on the planet. They haunt the rubble zones around coral reefs in the Indo Pacific, coming out at night in search of live fish.

Photo source: Practical Fishkeeping


















So, why my hesitance in posting on this worm? I'll start with its common name: the Bobbit worm. The females of the species eat the ... uh, the ... um. The man parts ... the man bits of the male worm and feed it to their offspring.

I have no idea why they do this. I have a hard time even wanting to know why. Is it for the nutritional value? Does it trigger hormonal changes in the male? Is it needed to complete the act which leads to the very offspring that eat the ... ugh. I can't even say it.



If ever there was an appropriate curse for adulterous men, it would be to die and come back as one of these creatures.

Thanks for the article, Lisa. I, for one, am reminded of how good it is to be a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment